#TransformEdTravels to Ottawa, Ontario!




If you live in Toronto, you are probably wondering what happened to Spring?  As I write this blog post, I still see snow outside of my window!  Therefore, I thought it only fitting to re-visit a cold conference day from last February in Ottawa.

I had the great honour to present to educators who are members of the Ottawa-Carleton Elementary Teachers' Federation (OCETF).  My presentations included a lecture style session entitled, "Considering the layers of inquiry-based learning: Transforming educational practices" and a hands-on workshop called, "Inquiry planning: How to begin an inquiry in your classroom."  There was such a wonderful response and many interested educators who posed thoughtful questions.


Here is a peek at my trip and experience in our nation's Capital:

Leaving Toronto on a gorgeous winter day from Union station with the VIA Rail!

My Valentine's Day inspired outfit.

Participants began to slow down their thinking by painting.

I documented their learning using my iPhone.

Here is the view from our presentation building.

Funny enough, I matched with the sports car in the lobby!

I offered the participants, pencils, sharpie markers, and water colour paints.

After looking at the roses and visually representing them, they were encouraged to write their questions within tiny wonder journals provided.

Some day I would like to return with my family and go skating!

I love adult learning and the time and care that educators take with their notes.

I still have the same feeling of disbelief and appreciation when I see my name or photograph included somewhere!

Collaborative paintings make my heart sing!

Once all of the wonderings were complete, we began to discuss ways that this could be extended within the classroom.

Loved seeing this sticky note heart that was featured in the mall window while I walked back to the hotel. Great idea!

I have not spent enough time in Canada's capital.  Being there made me so curious!

Quick snack before heading out in time to return to my husband for Valentine's Day.

All smiles for completing two successful sessions! 

Using the documentation from our professional learning, as a jumping off point for my own reflection and future planning.

View from the train.  I am surprised at the quality, considering that there was a window in between my camera and the snowy scenery...



I had such a wonderful time in Ottawa and want to thank the organizing committee from OCETF, as well as the receptive and creative participants!  Thank you also to my friend/fellow PhD student, Ellen Brown who I accidentally bumped into and captured these photographs of me!  Such a pleasant surprise to be in the same place, at the same time!  

I hope that you enjoyed this post and felt part of my travels. Other sessions will be highlighted throughout the next few months from Edmonton, St. John's, Niagara, and more.  Also, stay tuned for some amazing school visits too!

In the meantime, follow me on instagram and use the #TransformEdTravels hashtag to see some destinations and sessions featured.




Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.

Live the life you have imagined.

                                                             -Henry David Thoreau

Share your thoughts :

@joannebabalis