In Greece, where my relatives are from, today is a national holiday similar to our Labour Day.
May, also happens to be my favourite month! Though I was born in May, and perhaps that is part of the reason, I simply adore all of the sunshine and Spring flowers! Do you ever stare upon the blossoms and wonder about the beauty of our natural world? It intrigues and inspires me...
Come and learn with me in summer weather!
Special "thank you's" go out to:
- St. George's Golf and Country Club for their amazing venue and hospitality.
- My former student Ava Augustin and her wonderful family for openly sharing their perspectives on student portfolios
- Vikki Tsekouras of VCM for presenting about her photography tips and documenting our third workshop (see all of the high quality photos from today's blog post). For more information about her and her specialty, wedding photography, visit her page.
- All of the amazing participants who not only attended, were engaged in collaborative/critical discussions, wrote testimonials, and offered to help with the registration table, cleaning up materials, and even loading my car!
- And last but certainly not least, my husband, Arsenios Vergis who put up with me from the moment that I had this wild idea to offer workshops on my blog just a month prior to our wedding, for printing and assembling the handouts, organizing registration lists, and most importantly encouraging me to use St. George's Golf and Country Club.
- a welcoming, thoughtfully prepared, and inspiring professional learning environment
- delicious food
- presentations that will support and challenge you on your learning journey
- interactive sessions with hands-on learning extensions
- carefully created handouts and googledoc link with resources
- networking opportunities
- critical discussions
- vendor sales
- receipts emailed to you with your confirmation in case you are able to get reimbursement
- accessible location in Toronto with plenty of parking
- two new topics
- updated images and content
- sessions are an hour longer and end at 2:00 p.m.
- brunch will be served instead of breakfast and will begin half way through the session at 11:30 a.m.
- inspiring colleagues of mine will be joining us as guest speakers
- certificates will be issued for each session that you complete with the number of hours
- draw with prizes
*** Register through paypal at the end of the blog post...
"Thank you Joanne for sharing your experiences and your journey so openly and honestly. I appreciated the hands on elements in the 3 workshops and the exchange of ideas from other participants. I feel fortunate to have been able to attend all 3 sessions as this final workshop just pulled together all of the elements for me. What I have learned, is that I am on a journey - Not only discovering my students but myself as well." -Janice Prazoff
"Joanne's workshops have an inspirational way of making the impossible seem possible! I left her portfolio workshop knowing what I wanted to achieve." -Emily Boag
"Always inspiring and informative, the TransformEd workshops allow educators at various tags of their learning journeys to collaborate, network, and enhance their teaching practices." -Antonella Fabbro
"As a new FDK teacher, Joanne's Workshops were great at giving me opportunities to learn about integral parts of the FDK program in a fun, hands-on way!" -Shirley
"Joanne's winter workshops have been an opportunity for me to extend my learning beyond the walls of my classroom. It has allowed me to dig deeper in my understanding around inquiry, planning, and portfolios. Being able to network, share my learning and leave feeling inspired, means that each session was well-planned, thought-provoking, and relevant. Thank you Joanne for offering up your time to educate others, share you practice, and inspire many! Many thanks, Jocelyn. #4EverInspired" -Jocelyn Schmidt
"Engaging, intelligent and thoughtful... Inspiring for any FDK educator..." -Fiona Flint
"Being an early childhood studies student, it has been wonderful attending the TransformEd workshops and being able to gain new insight into various topics such as inquiry-based learning and portfolios. This series was a great way to connect with other educators on what I have been taught in my studies! Amazing! Joanne is so passionate and this definitely comes through during her presentations. I would love to attend future workshops put on by Joanne." -Lauren Coolahan
Comment regarding the student's perspective on portfolios: "The best think I heard all day... Being a teacher is a gooiest thing... Out of the mouth of babes... Because you let us learn... Well, thank you Ava!" -Mary Pasquali
"How enthusiastic and devoted you are to teaching and learning from young children! So inspiring!" -Christina Matier
"Another fun, interactive, and informative session! Thank you for sharing your experiences!" -Allyson Slee
"Joanne provided such a rich experience filled with amazing information, resources, speakers, tips, and tricks. If you have a chance to hear her speak you will be welcomed to such a warm environment and will leave feeling renewed and inspired to rethink your teaching practice." - Darci Gallinger
"I find that many workshops inspire me but leave me without a place to start. The two that I attended in this series left me inspired, yet not overwhelmed. Hopeful." -Jennifer Davidson
"Thank you/ chi-miigwech Joanne! A wonderful morning morning looking at capturing what students say, do, and represent while being accountable and differentiating. Enjoyed networking and the venue." -Towana Brooks
"I am always deeply inspired by Joanne's classroom practice. She brings her classroom and students' experiences to life and her joy of teaching and learning are infectious! I have always received helpful tips to try right away when I return to my classroom. There are questions posed that cause me to reflect on my own practice as well. I am deeply grateful to be allowed to have been able to attend this workshop!" -Tammy Sault
Thank you for taking the time to write or email your testimonials. They truly motivated me to offer my second series!
Location: St. George's Golf and Country Club 1668 Islington Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M9A 3M9
Timing: 9:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Each summer session costs $132.74 + HST = $150.00. An email will be sent to you confirming your registration and I will attach your receipt.
All sessions are non-refundable. The golf course requires that I confirm the number of participants, to ensure that they have adequate space, staffing, and food. Even on a snowy day, they would not provide me with my money back. You may, however, give your spot to someone else and email me about the changes so that I may update my list. Think of this like a ticket to a concert, once you register, your spot is confirmed. Thank you for your understanding with this...