"We Can See" a Front Yard Makeover!


It is with great joy that I share tonight's post with all of you!  

One of our students M.Y. and her family just recently were involved in a front yard makeover project by SNAP: Sustainable Neighbourhood Retrofit Action Plan.  

M.Y. so proudly shared the project with our class today, and we eagerly watched the YouTube clip (see below) that her mom emailed us.  M.Y. asked if I could post it onto the blog for everyone to see.  After having approval from her family, I also learned that they created an entire powerpoint (M.Y. and her mom) that they wanted to share. It's absolutely beautiful and documents the experience so elegantly. When reading through it, I found myself tearing up... 

M.Y.'s mom did a wonderful job capturing her voice and honouring the photographs that M.Y. took as an equal participant in the project.  What a powerful message that sends to M.Y.,  that her ideas, images, and contributions really matter.  I hope that this blog post also further commends M.Y. for the important role that she played during this wonderful makeover...

We hope that you enjoy the powerpoint made by M.Y. and her family and consider leaving them a response: 

(If you click on the photos below you can see them in a slightly larger format)












"The following YouTube video showcases two Front Yard Makeovers that were demonstration projects for the Lake Wilcox SNAP.  It tells the stories of the Makeover homeowners and the transformation of their lawns into beautiful, colourful gardens designed for families and busy professionals.  These made over gardens need less water, fertilizer and time to maintain, and will help to keep Lake Wilcox healthy"  (Taken from the "About" description from YouTube, published on December 19th, 2012).



M.Y.'s family also shared the following link from their experience with SNAP:



As I responded to M.Y.'s mom, I thought that their family did a wonderful job speaking in front of the camera.  The girls already looked like they were having fun, and I'm sure are anticipating Spring's return for more outdoor exploration.  We hope that they continue to make exciting discoveries in their new eco-friendly yard, and that M.Y. shares with us "what she see's" during our class meetings!

Thank you to M.Y. and her family for sharing this wonderful project with us, and giving us the opportunity to write about it for an even greater audience!  What a dream yard!

Share your thoughts :

  1. Oh how cool! So nice to have the students sharing back in the classroom.

    We have an Eco Garden in our playground and our plan is to take over a piece of this garden for room 109 and make it our own. We will share on our log as soon as we start. Unfortunately it's still too cold for my liking.

    Thanks for sharing,

    Kim Clark

    By the way, my class created a I-movie to share on the "We see" project but I don't know how to upload it? Can you help me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Kim! It needs to get warmer...and FAST!!!

    Please send me an email and I can set you up with the "We can See" project.

    Sincerely,

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete

@joannebabalis