On Display: Too Far From Perfect


Two weeks ago, I had the great privilege of meeting Dr. Charles Pascal, the inspiring Professor of Applied Psychology and Human Development from the University of Toronto's Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE).  I have to admit, that I had been hoping to meet him ever since I read With the best future in mind: Implementing Early Learning in Ontario.  When we corresponded via email, I thanked Dr. Charles Pascal for visiting our blog and mentioned that none of this would be possible without his vision for Full-Day Early Learning Kindergarten in our province.  He responded that the vision was the easy part, and that without skillful implementers, the vision gathers dust!


Today's Friday "On Display" feature celebrates his newest book, Too far from perfect: A father-daughter conversation about public education.  This book was co-written with his daughter Tai Pascal Notar, a grade 12 student. I thought that it was quite courageous and innovative of them to share their story within this personal journal.  

With a personal passion for the Reggio-Emilia Approach to Early Childhood Education, I was immediately drawn to the section that referenced the small town in Italy.  Reading Dr. Pascal's insights brought me back to my own trip to the infant-toddler centres in 2011, and I found myself yearning to return.  

I highly recommend their original new book!  Be sure to visit the website "Too Far From Perfect" for more information.  It is a must read, so I don't want to give anymore away...

Dr. Charles Pascal also recommended a blog entitled "Journey Together FDK," and suggested that we try to communicate with each other.  I hope that you all bookmark this blog and take the time to read about their experiences in Full-Day Early Learning-Kindergarten.

Thank you to Dr. Charles Pascal and his daughter Tai Pascal Notar for allowing me to feature their new book on the blog today.  I will treasure my signed copy for years to come!

Share your thoughts :

  1. I bought a copy of his book at the Early Learning Symposium too and devoured it. Loved meeting you yesterday at the Joy of Childhood Conference. You gave me a lot in inspiration to take back to my partner and classroom.

    ReplyDelete

@joannebabalis